23 February 2010

Things Mothers Hold Onto…

Today I was visiting my mother, and she presented me with a box of things that she’d kept from when I was a baby. Amongst the various mementos were two smaller boxes that each contained several greeting cards and short letters full of well-wishes and congratulations and even messages for newborn me. So many of them were lovingly written by grandparents, great-grandparents, and other family and family friends. It’s hard to describe the burst of nostalgia for days gone by, but it’s certainly something I will always treasure. One of the more special finds was a handkerchief that had been stitched into a baby bonnet and presented at my birth by someone very dear (and sadly long-departed). It came with a small typed poem that described how this handkerchief would one day be the ‘something old’ to have for my wedding day. (!) I’m sure one can imagine the catch in my voice and the tear that formed as I struggled to find the right words…

Mothers everywhere, there is something to be said for setting aside a few keepsakes for your children.


I think if I ever have a moment where I am not feeling so special ~ all I have to do is open this box…


Thank you, Mom x

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog via Rosie P!! You know, you can always count on Mum - no matter what!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete