13 February 2010

The Little Engine That Might...

I've long been the sort of girl that took a small measure of personal satisfaction with the fact that I don't invest my money in what I drive. This is evidenced by the car park at my office... my home... or really any parking lot in which you find my four wheels. I drive a well cared for cosmetic total loss. Riddled with hail dents, the fender I managed to bash on the side of my garage the first time I used it, any number of door dings, a hit and run dent it received to the front bumper while parked on my birthday, and more. It is beautifully enhanced with special decorations left anonymously by birds, faded decals and interior, and occasionally covered in ice, snow, mud, slush, or other remnants of the day. On some days when I've been particularly neglectful and have left bags, books, letters, drink containers and the like strewn about, A tells me it's like driving in a skip. (Apparently British word for trash container... charming, I know~).

I've invested a fair amount of money into its upkeep. Don't get me wrong... I love new cars! I just choose to spend my income differently with the view that it's simply transportation. It may not be the nicest thing I own or invest in... but it's paid for. It's served me well for years and I've remained loyal. I'm loyal to my car like I'm loyal to my doctor, my dentist, my hairdresser, until recently my accountant... you get the idea.

In this past year+, I'm afraid the news hasn't been good. It appears my car has suffered some setbacks in its overall health and performance. I've managed to replace the transmission, the alternator, the battery, the air conditioning, the brakes, and I'm sure there is something else I'm forgetting. Two weeks ago when it wouldn't start on a cold morning, I remembered thinking that there couldn't possibly be any more parts left to replace! (Turns out it was merely flooded and therefore an easy fix).

Is it too much to ask that after all I've put into it - that it last me just approximately 7 1/2 more months?

I really don't know what I'd do if my little car didn't make it and ended up in the great scrap-yard beyond. I can't exactly buy a new one for a term of 7 months! I also think 7 months is *just* too long for a rental.

Well, I shan't borrow trouble...


I think I can... I think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment