08 June 2013

Wishing I Was ... Gardening (well, almost)

Spring into Summer in the Lake District is an inspired canvas of lovely yellow daffodils and buttercups, interspersed with daisies, bluebells, and all manner of flora on the trees and in fields and fells alike.  Nature’s Garden is like none other, and glorious to behold.  I’ve enjoyed many walks in the fresh country air, enlivening my senses and infusing me with joy and wonder at this beautiful corner of the world.  
Such extraordinary backdrops of beauty have no doubt inspired many a gardener, whether amateur or seasoned, to create their own masterpieces right at home.  Of course gardening can be far more than cultivating pretty arrangements of flowers and plants.  Gardens serve many potential purposes beyond landscaping such as growing fruits and vegetables, sustainable living, attracting bees (great for some, but no thank you!), natural pest repellents, herbs for food or medicine, education, and more.  For some, gardening is even said to instill peace of mind and body.  
I’ve always admired gardeners of all types, and longed for the natural knack and love of hands-in-earth.  I recall my stepmother, who is most gifted, putting me to work in her flower garden, hoping to teach and inspire.  Sadly, it didn’t take.  
I did try my hand a little with my first house.  My first tree removal (born out of necessity due to proximal hazard, I assure you) resulted in an upset beehive and indoor exile until a beekeeper could be found to remove it.  Weeding turned into flower killing, and hedge trimming turned into butchery.  Even my indoor plants suffered, save my philodendron, which I suspect is immortal.  Fast forward many years, and I’m still hiring gardeners to help.  Nothing posh, mind you, just the basics.  In my case, my lack of gardenesse goes beyond a missing ‘green thumb’.  A fear of all things creeping, crawling, biting, flying, and stinging doesn’t help.  I suppose I also didn’t help my prospects any by leaving food out for the family of rabbits that took up residence in my shrubs!  

I’ve concluded that horticulture is not for the faint hearted.  I will thus live vicariously through those who have mastered it, and continue to delight in Nature’s own garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment