22 November 2010

New Continent, New Bugs, New Healthcare

I had the pleasure of my first visit to a ‘surgery’ (doctor’s office) in the UK today … hence my induction into the NHS. (National Health Service).  I admit that I was a bit apprehensive not knowing at all what to expect.  Reliant only on the opinions, perceptions, and experiences of those in the know, (as well as the opinions, perceptions, misconceptions, and well-meaning advice of those whose only knowledge of the NHS comes from media reporting), I set out on a brisk walk into town for my ‘getting to know you’ new-patient appointment.  

Armed with prior medical records, current prescriptions, and a measure of uncertainty, combined with a good workout walking very quickly into town (given that I misjudged just how much time I needed and had to hurry), I naturally managed to work my blood pressure up just enough to make the wrong first impression.  Actually, my blood pressure reading was ‘good’ or ‘normal’, albeit not as low as it normally reads!   Not knowing how it all works, I nearly missed my cue to be seen by the nurse, as I waited expectantly in the waiting area for someone to come and bring me back.  Luckily, I was startled by a loud beep and happened to notice an electronic board above my head instructing patients by name to head to certain numbered exam rooms when it was their time. 

The nurse was a delight (much to my relief), and I soon relaxed a little.  The initial assessment with the nurse went well, and she did dispense some advice which resulted in a new plan for treating one of my pre-existing conditions.  Following the nurse appointment, I was seen by one of the doctors in the practice.  While certain things were initially ‘lost in translation’ (and he did joke that Americans need to learn to speak English, while I retorted something along the lines that English is my second language and I thought I was doing alright for an American), we appear to have successfully resolved all initial prescription and other issues. I will now see the doctor as needed for any new or non-routine issues, and see the nurse for routine follow up or wellness checks.  

While I intend to shy away at this stage from a debate over the virtues and drawbacks of the American versus British systems of health care, I will say that the experience was innocuous enough, and that it is a relief to know that I can get treatment for even pre-existing issues.  For anyone worried that I (or anyone else in my situation) might be an undue burden on the NHS, I will say that I suspect that part of the exorbitant cost of each one of the three + visas which I must procure as part of the lengthy process leading to permanent settlement in the UK likely covers my participation.  Additionally, once eligible to work, my taxes will contribute as well to this end.  I do think that a direct comparison of the two systems is inherently unfair, as each nation was founded at different points in time and on differing principals.  For anyone who worried, I’ve emerged unscathed, and honestly have only good things to say so far about the practice with which I’ve registered.  

The doctor did warn me that having moved to a new continent there will be lots of bugs that are new to me and that I can look forward to having lots of colds and viruses in the next year until my body ‘gets to know’ said bugs and things settle down.  

Hmmm…


Game face ON …!

3 comments:

  1. Well at least that experience is over, I've always found the NHS to be great whenever I or my family have needed them, yeah it's not perfect but what is. Hope you're settling in well over here.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have that initial visit out of the way. I do agree with what the Dr. said about new colds and viruses, so drink your OJ! And Have a Happy Thanksgiving - how will you celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, not able to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, but hopefully next! We have a meeting to attend that evening, but I do plan to make some calls back to the USA. :-) I'm hoping some year to do a Thanksgiving meal and invite some of our friends...

    Rosie - I'm settling in happily, thanks! Still a big learning curve here but people have been so nice.

    ReplyDelete