06 November 2010

Across the sea ... a look back

The other night I was falling asleep listening to the sound of rain pelting the window as the wind blew strongly in the night, and my thoughts were turned to the sea.  I imagined certain perilous Atlantic crossings of old.  Some few and some many hundreds of years ago, a number of people were seeking a better life on one side of the ocean or the other, while others were banished or exiled from their beloved homeland.  Still others were, like me, starting a newlywed life with all its uncertainties, hopes and dreams. Some left with the full blessings and well wishes of family and friends, and others perhaps in times of war or strife did not.  One thing in most cases was accepted as certain: many who crossed the Atlantic were never again to see the loved ones they left behind.  

People were apparently able to send the occasional letter, though likely old news by the time it reached the intended recipient(s).  I imagined how hard it must have been, and what brave souls made these crossings at risk of life and limb.  


My thoughts wandered thus as I reflected on my own fears of becoming increasingly out of touch, or having to work hard to remain relevant while watching friends or family make plans and live lives that at least in present tense don’t include me.  However, technology has indeed made the world seem smaller and the ocean less wide.  I am also reassured by the knowledge that true friendships and familial closeness won’t be altered by distance or the passage of time.  I am reassured by the amazing achievements we now take for granted, such as air travel, telephone, e-mail, texting, messaging, video chat, and more.  These days, a letter home (while arguably still a nice touch) is positively archaic.    


Those of you who think I am brave or bold to set out in this fashion should take note of those of generations past who were truly worthy of admiration.  Across the annals of time, I suspect that more than a few of my predecessors and I surely share a common bond: a deep and abiding love of home, and great hopes for the future.  



No comments:

Post a Comment