14 September 2010

My Closet Addiction

Today, I mourn.  Not anything serious or life-altering. Probably not anything that will matter in 5 years time.  You see, I am an American clothes horse, and I’m facing the anguishing prospect of severe editing of my wardrobe for the practical purpose of, say, actually affording shipping costs, or better yet – not filling an entire room of our flat-to-be with my two walk-in closets and two dressers full of clothing?  *Sigh*. 

How did I get to be this way?  I don’t think it’s exactly another Imelda Marcos with her shoes.  I’m not a spend-a-holic or in debt.  The answer is two-fold: 

1)       Fluctuating weight over time, hence collections of clothing in 3 different sizes. 
2)       We have closets!!!

Excepting newer construction, it appears that a fair number of British homes (including A’s) don’t come with closets. By contrast, in the Midwest USA, I’ve never lived in a house that doesn’t (and spacious ones to boot).  Granted, there is a certain charm to an armoire or wardrobe as a furniture piece, but there is a limit to what they can hold!  (Unless, of course, you are the lucky children in ‘The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe).    

One theory about this (which I haven’t independently verified so accept at your own risk) is that there were once taxes levied ‘per room’ in homes, and that closets were counted as rooms and thus were not worth the extra taxes.  Perhaps that’s true, and perfectly sensible.  Perhaps that’s a convenient story by a certain man who is trying to gently persuade me to pare down and not feel bad about this trade-off.   As I’ve been spoiled to date with generous closet spaces, I now have to decide if my three-tiered collection of apparel is worth the extra fees in baggage or shipping. 

So, back to the mourning.  There are three well-known stages of grief.  First, shock. (I’m long over the surprise of lack of closets in the UK, and after all, there is much else to love there).  Secondly, denial.  (I’ve spent this past summer there, as clothes editing is never going to happen to me!).  Thirdly, acceptance. 


Hmmm…  I’m still looking for ways around this third one…

1 comment:

  1. I so wish we had american style closets, they are so much better and bigger ! However, Ikea don't do a bad range of wardrobes, you'd probably be able to get most of you stuff in!

    My niece Kelly (Kelly's recipes for life) love the american style so much she had one built in her bedroom.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete