21 September 2010

"Dwelling In Possibility" ...

It has occurred to me that several of my recent blog entries have touched on things I’m leaving behind as I transition towards life in the UK.  This is a natural tendency for anyone making such a change, and I’ve subsequently been inclined to document this process from that vantage.  Nonetheless, (and to borrow from Emily Dickinson for a moment), it seems I could afford to shift focus a bit, and to ‘dwell in possibility’.  
To that end, I’d like to highlight a few of the things I believe I am gaining.  Of course, this is a challenge unto itself, as I probably won’t realize even half of them until I’m there!  However, looking forward, a few things do come to mind:
  1. A wonderful life partner!
  2. A sense of accomplishment for daring to make this incredible life revision
  3. Residing closer to France (a great indulgence for every American girl!)
  4. An average work week of 37 hours and lots more vacation leave
  5. Breathtakingly beautiful vistas
  6. A field of lambs near our flat in Spring
  7. A thinks I need to include haggis in this, but I’m not quite there yet. (!)
  8. The National Trust!!!  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/
  9. Costa Coffee (notwithstanding the accompanying caffeine addiction)
  10. My favorite type of weather (and hopefully cute ‘wellies’ to go with it!)
  11. A notable lack of tornadoes
  12. BBC!
  13. Antiquity
  14. The Queen’s English
  15. Opportunities to form new friendships
This is but a start … I’m confident there will be many more.  I’m also sure I’ll blog about them in future. 


Stay tuned!
 



2 comments:

  1. It's only natural to think of the things you are leaving behind. But I agree with you about the possibility thinking. And here's the deal, after your No. 1 on the list, everything else is just a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16. A realisation (note spelling!) of how big America is when you travel 30 minutes and hear a completely different accent.

    17. The feeling of history hugging you when you walk among stone buildings and meander through a castle.

    18. The plethora of vocabulary one uses for rain will multiply (unsettled, showers with spots of sunshine, sunshine and showers, rather damp, outbreaks of rain, spotty showers, etc.).

    19. Marmite (just kidding)

    20. Giggling to yourself as you notice yet another weird British-ism - funny only to you. The opposite of this is when people giggle at you for mispronunciations or other American-isms, but that's the best way to learn, eh?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete