25 April 2010

Princess for a Day

Today, I felt like a princess. I thought I was too old to have days like these…

For years I looked on… sometimes admirably (sometimes patiently!) as brides-to-be gushed about their dresses, their plans, and wedding details great and small. It was hard to relate really, not having personally experienced a traditional wedding. I wasn’t one of those little girls who dreamed about one day marrying a prince and having a wedding fit for a princess. When I didn’t imagine I’d be in similar shoes, it was sometimes hard for me to understand all the fuss.

Until A.

While I still maintain a healthy perspective (I am not losing sight of the fact that it is the marriage we are preparing for and celebrating … that a wedding is merely a tribute to the important thing which is the life we get to spend together), I nevertheless am beginning to understand. Although I’d marry A anywhere in any circumstance because I can’t wait to go through life with him at my side, we are also planning and preparing quite a celebration of this fact!

We won’t get everything perfect in terms of traditions, or pleasing everyone, but our intention is to have a wonderful time in the company of those we love and value… a send-off into our new lives that we can always treasure and won’t soon forget.

So, for today, (and perhaps on a few other days in the coming months), I am going to be that bride… who in spite of my age and circumstance, is going to get a bit excited and effusive as I share happy details of our big day.

To that end, I thought I would share that I have found the dress! Today, I tried it on for my mother to see. We shared a special afternoon. I won’t allow A to see it until I am walking down the aisle. I have found a few lovely accessories too.

Moments like these are making it more and more real.


I simply cannot wait!


4 comments:

  1. Oh that is so exciting, i remember when I got married (at 36), it was lovely finding THE dress.

    Thanks for you comment, my sister and niece have american style washers and dryers, top loading, which are fantastic, however, I don't have the space for one so am stuck with the old front loader.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!! Finding THE dress gives you the most marvellous, magical feeling!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the right values for sure and I bet your dress is beautiful!!xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember, it's because of you that the dress is so beautiful. Without you, it's just another wedding dress. Love you!

    ReplyDelete