20 January 2010

The tax man cometh...

‘Tis the season… not for holly and ivy… not for champagne toasts at midnight… not even for hearts and flowers (yet). No. It’s a very important time of year, though hardly a celebration. Time to gather the W-2s, dig for bank, year-end mortgage interest, and other income statements, receipts, and a myriad of other paper scraps that justify our status with Uncle Sam and the IRS.

It’s an annual ritual from which there is no escape. We all know the adage about the two things that are certain in life – and one of them is taxes!

Perhaps we can thank William the Conqueror and his Domesday book… but really it must date back as far as mankind can record and recollect.

I’ve been thinking about taxes more than usual this year, as I realize that it’s all about to change dramatically. This time next year, if all goes as planned, I will still be reporting my income; large, small, or non-existent as fortune dictates; faithfully as ever, but from a few thousand miles away.

Of course, I’m sure it’s not as simple as all that. There are reciprocity agreements to navigate, and I have a feeling that for every different corner I turn, there will be a new learning curve.


All said, I’m just as certain that it will be worth it. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment