12 June 2010

Still a bit speechless, but looking forward...

For those of you who know me, I think you will understand why these past weeks have found me at a loss for words.

I have debated whether to soldier on in this blog as if nothing has just occurred, as if the lovely people of Cumbria have not just been put through a great deal of suffering. Certainly I am not heartless in considering not writing on recent events there. It was more a thought of discretion and respect in keeping silent in this forum. However, I’ve concluded that it’s simply not me to say nothing at all.

As a girl who wears her heart on her sleeve, I wish simply to say that while I share a measure of horror, shock, and sadness along with the rest of the region and country that I intend to one day call home, I also am optimistic and largely confident in the wonderful people that reside there… in their ability to pull together and begin the healing process.

In following the news I read media opinions that implied (perhaps a bit unfairly I think) that the area would forever be ‘tainted’ by the tragedies that unfolded.

Cumbria I promise you this for what it’s worth: That will not be my attitude. I am not going to give this the power to do that for me. I will continue to think only the best of your people, your beautiful communities, your towns, villages, counties, and your country. I will show kind respect for your need to process, grieve, and heal.


Sending you my very best thoughts and hopes from over the Atlantic…


2 comments:

  1. It's very sad for the people of Cumbria, but sadly these things do happen. Our thoughts are with the families.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very touching post.xxx

    ReplyDelete